Citizens Police Academy
The Chandler Police Department’s Citizens Police Academy is a free program designed for citizens of Chandler and members of the business community that provides an inside look at their Police Department and law enforcement operations. The Citizens Police Academy is designed to provide participants with an understanding of the operations and resources of the Chandler Police Department. Participants will interact with police executives, veteran officers and civilian employees during the academy. The goal of the Citizens Police Academy is to provide a greater awareness and understanding of law enforcement’s role in our community.
The Citizens Police Academy is NOT the police recruit academy.
Course curriculum may include:
- An overview of the PD
- Sex Crimes
- Traffic Laws
- Tactical Operations – SWAT
- K-9 Unit
- Firearms Unit
- Police Communications – Dispatch
- Human Sex Trafficking
- School Violence
- Volunteer Opportunities
Potential candidates for the Citizens Police Academy must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years of age at the time of application
- Reside in or work in the City of Chandler
- Attend a school or be an applicant in the City of Chandler
- No prior felony arrests
- No misdemeanor arrests within five years of the application
- Each candidate will have a background check conducted by the police department
The Chandler Police Department reserves the right to deny applications and acceptance to any applicant.
- No more than two (2) absences
- One 5 hour ride-along with a Chandler Police Officer or
- One 4 hour shift observing in Dispatch
- Adhere to the informational goals established for the academy
- The spring 2021 class is now Canceled due to COVID-19.
- The next class is tentatively set to begin August 4, 2021.
- Registration will open July 5, 2021 and will be available below.
- In the summer of 2021, we will update this page and let you know if we will be moving forward with our fall 2021 class. Please check back after July 1st, 2021 for more details on this.