School Resource Officers
The Chandler Police Department utilizes School Resource Officers (SROs) at middle, junior high and high schools that are located in the city limits, covering three separate school districts: Chandler Unified, Kyrene Unified and Mesa Public Schools. These officers work with school administrators and educators year-round, supplementing and enhancing the Law-Related Education (LRE) component of the SRO program, as well as continuously evaluating the safety plan for each school.
All Chandler SROs are members of the Arizona School Resource Officers Association (ASROA) and the National School Resource Officers Association (NASRO), both of which provide training and networking among other SROs from across the state and nation. The Chandler Police Department’s SRO program has been recognized as a “Model School Resource Officer Agency” by the National Association of School Resource Officers.
The responsibilities of the SROs include acting:
- As a visible, law enforcement figure on campus dealing with any law-related issues that occur;
- As a classroom resource for instruction in law-related education;
- As a member of the faculty and administrative team working hand in hand to solve problems in the school community;
- As a resource for the students which will enable them to be associated with a police officer in a positive manner in their environment;
- As a resource to teachers, parents, and students for conferences on an individual basis dealing with individual problems or concerns;
- As a counseling/referral resource in areas which may affect the educational environment in a law-related nature; and
- As a liaison to assist with crisis intervention and emergency management planning.
The SRO utilizes both proactive and reactive community policing methods in dealing with educational institutions. Several of Chandler’s SROs participate in extra-curricular activities at their schools such as clubs and coaching athletic teams. This enables the SRO to foster positive relationships with both students and staff in order to change the way the public looks at the law enforcement community.
Chandler Police Department School Resource Officers
Chris Keipert – Chandler High School (480) 812-7988
Kevin Quinn – Hamilton High School (480) 883-5027
Mike Story – Willis Junior High School (480) 883-5767
Rick Cole – Anderson Junior High School (480) 883-5328
Noah Dueker – Pueblo Middle School (480) 541-6878
Fernando Gomez – San Tan Junior High School (480) 883-4600
Loranda Tibble – Bogle Junior High School (480) 883-5500
Steven Dieu – Summit Academy (480) 472-3310.